3.20.2007

Mariska Karasz

I first saw the work of Mariska Karasz in the book The Stitches of Creative Embroidery by Jacqueline Enthoven, which is my inspiration for much of the embroidery that I attempt to do. I'm not very good at it, but I still plug away at it.

Mariska was a Hungarian-American who started out as a clothing designer and then became an embroidery artist. The Georgia Museum of Art is currently showing a retrospective of her work as both a fashion designer and artist and I wish I could go. It's the first showing of her work in nearly 40 years.




Whip Up blogged about another inspiring textile artist named Tilleke Schwarz whose work reminds me of Mariska's in that it is eclectic and free with an understanding of a total mastery of embroidery stitches. Poetic license. Love it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home